Sunday, January 06, 2008

www.donorschoose.org


Ok so this is take two of this post. I probably wont go into as much detail as the first because I am pissed that the post didn't work. I was typing and it just all deleted. So from the title you can see that I am steping up on a soap box once again. As a teacher you want what is best for your students. You want to bring them the best education you can. Being in America is amazing but when it comes to teaching I don't think people value it as much as they should. Does a doctor have to pay for his scaple or bandages that he uses....of course not!!! They why do teachers have to buy the things they need? This aspect of my job blows my mind. So one day I was watching MTV and I saw this commercial for www.donorschoose.org. This is a website for teachers to write grants for items they need and for people with money to buy the items for them. This website is a blessing!!! It started in NY by people who care about education and saw that teacers weren't being paid enough and weren't being supplied the things they need. This website allows for teachers to ask for things they can't afford or for things they would NEVER buy themselves. For example I needed an electric pencil sharpener and a huge hole puncher. I didn't have the money to buy a nice one so I wrote a grant and someone filled it for me. I asked for books on tape which will help my students read better and allow them to listen to a story and not have to worry about the words. This is something that I don't have to have but it is great to have it. I would never buy them myself because they are exp. and I can't afford it. I have had seven grants filled so far. The latest one was a 5 foot skeleton for my science lessons. The other one that was jsut filled was a problem solving kits to help my children get better at test taking and getting used to the words and what the questions are asking them. This website has made teaching so much easier and better. Please get the word out about this website!! It is amazing that people I have never met care about my children and want to fill these grants for us!!!

No comments: