Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What do they expect?!!!

So we found out a few days ago that the state of NC has moved the EOG up a week. As teachers this is very frustrating because of the fact that we teach all the way up to the EOG. Then after the EOG since we were supposed to have the curriculum taught, we have nothing to really do.

The biggest headache of this move is that our children are not going to be as prepared as we would like for them to be. Yes, yes I know it was only a three day move but those three days are crucial for review and for our kids to "get their head in the game". It is just frustrating because it means we will have five weeks after the EOG to sit around and "find things to teach" since all our math and reading should have been taught before the EOG. You can't teach writing, science, and social studies for four hours a day.

I am being a tad but dramatic about this but I want my point to get across. What do we value more in this state, education and the true aspect of learning the curriculum or testing? Obviously the testing has won this time. I wish the value of learning was higher then the value of testing.

So as we sit here 19 days away from the EOG I am trying my best to prepare my children. We are practicing and practicing for the EOG. We are reading and re reading questions that they will see. We are talking about how to answer the questions. We are working on strategies to help us answer the questions. Is this learning....not really. Am I doing hands on inquiry based lesson....not really. Are my children tired of all this EOG talk...sure are. It is sad that education has come to this.

I just hope when Tilley and his children come around to third grade, there will be a better way then what we are doing now.

No comments: